Updated: Mar 20, 2019
We have all had those days where we feel like we are catching something, maybe feeling a little congested or even a tickle in the throat. That's when you need to get a jump on fighting what is trying to attack your immune system and stop it in its tracks. This cider concoction I learned about while I was taking my Culinary Nutrition Certification and was hesitant to try it but, trust me it really helps. I have tweaked the recipe adding a few things to the mix making it super potent. Warning that one ounce of this at a time is plenty, and whatever is trying to get you down won’t know what hit them. There are no real measurements and will depend on the jar used, so the ingredients can be adjusted. What is listed here is an example of an equal balance for a medium sized mason jar.
*To print/save recipe press Ctrl + P
Prep Time 15 mins
3-4 garlic cloves
1 horseradish stalk
1 medium white onion
5-6 pieces turmeric
1 large piece ginger
1 Red hot pepper
1 juiced orange
1 juiced lemon
2-3 cups Unpasteurized apple cider vinegar
Wide mouth mason jar
1. Peel the garlic cloves and smash with a knife and let sit.
2. Roughly chop the horseradish, onion, turmeric, ginger and red pepper into small pieces.
3. Juice the lemon and orange.
4. Transfer all the ingredients into a medium sized wide mouth mason jar.
5. Fill the mason jar with the apple cider vinegar allowing it to cover the ingredients at least two inches above them.
6. lace a piece of parchment paper over the jar and seal with the lid. (The parchment paper prevents any contamination of metal or disintegration of plastics due to acidity from vinegar)
7. Let sit for three to four weeks, shaking the jar daily.
8. Once time has elapsed, strain the mixture into a bowl and discard the herbs. Pour the liquid back into the jar. It is now ready to be consumed.